Search & Destroy Guide
This guide is specific for Canvas and D2L, for Blackboard please click here and for Third Party Assessments, click here
Exam content is often shared online and students can find exam's questions and answers with a simple Google search. Our revamped feature provides the structure to protect your exam questions, and encourages students to maintain academic integrity.
As an instructor or exam administrator, you need clarity on which of your questions have been shared online and clear actions you can take to protect your exam's integrity.
Utilizing Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown functions is part of the challenge, but what about questions that have leaked out onto multiple websites? Sending emails to several sites is not an effective solution. Honorlock's revamped Search & Destroy will identify these commonly found questions, empowering you to update your exam content to be more secure. In addition, Search & Destroy puts the control in your hands regarding DMCA takedown requests. You can select specific questions or send DMCA takedown notices to the entire batch with one click.
This feature is available to all Honorlock clients at no additional charge. Currently, Search & Destroy may only be processed once for each exam, so please be sure your exam questions are finalized prior to beginning this process.
How It Works (Canvas and D2L)
1) For more information on enabling your assessments with Honorlock, please visit the knowledge base article ), or , and for more information, please visit the .
2) Within the Honorlock LTI, select Results on the assessment you want to manage.
3) Navigate to the Search & Destroy tab.
In this tab, the assessment’s search results will appear. Questions are placed into three categories: Compromised Items, Commonly Found Items, and Unique Items.
These questions were found on five or fewer supported websites. Honorlock can process DMCA takedown requests for several websites if the exam administrator owns the assessment content.
To initiate the DMCA takedown process for questions in the Compromised Items category, select the Send Takedown to All button. If you wish to view detailed results within this category, select the dropdown icon on the right.
Commonly Found Items:
These questions were found on more than five websites, or on zero supported websites. We recommend changing these questions.
These questions were not found in Honorlock’s search results. These are unique questions your students will likely not find online. Remember to click on the dropdown icon on the right to view detailed results of your questions for any of the result categories.
Note: You will have the ability to manually upload questions as a CSV file in the event Honorlock is unable to automatically pull Search & Destroy questions. These are the steps to follow to manually upload the questions.
1) Once you have your CSV file with the questions, navigate to the Search & Destroy tab. Then proceed to click on Upload Questions Here.
2) You will then drag or click to choose you CSV file containing the questions:
3) Once you have selected your question file, review the questions to ensure that they have been uploaded correctly. Once you are satisfied, proceed to click on Save.
4) Refresh the screen and then navigate back to the Search & Destroy tab to review the questions results.
Click on Search and Destroy FAQ for Frequently Asked Questions.