Using Honorlock with D2L Brightspace
1) Navigate to Honorlock in your Learning Management System. If you have questions on how to access this, please contact your institution for the specific location.
2) It’s time to enable Honorlock in your exams! All exams for your course will be listed here. Click the blue 'Enable' button.
3) Once the exam has been enabled, you can enable the Proctoring Settings of your choice. To enable a setting, simply click on the box for that setting. The blue checkbox will indicate that the option is enabled. Clicking on it again will deselect this option and turn it off. Depending on the options determined by your institutional administrator, you may or may not see all of these settings. Some options may include a lock icon indicating that your administrator doesn't allow this setting to be edited for all assessments. For additional explanations about these settings, please scroll to Section Two of this article.
4) Next, select the Student Guidelines you deem applicable to this assessment. You’ll notice that we now have a list of items you can select to tell your exam takers what they can or cannot do during the assessment. We strongly encourage you to clarify or expand upon any or all of the items you choose to enable in the Additional Instructions section below. These guidelines and Additional Instructions will be visible to exam takers when starting their exam and will be utilized by our proctors to determine what is and isn’t allowed during the assessment.
5) The next section is the Accommodations section. These will only be visible to the Honorlock proctors. Whatever the accommodation may be, please include the exam taker name and the accommodation details in this section.
6) Last but not least, you have the exam availability toggle. We always suggest you leave this to the “no” option as default, which would respect the exam availability dates and times you set up within your LMS itself. Selecting “yes” here would allow the exam takers to see the assessment listed outside of that preset window you had previously selected.
- Record Webcam - Records HD video of the student’s face and testing environment using the webcam built into their device or external webcam.
- Record Screen - Records HD video of the exam taker’s laptop or desktop screen.
- Record web traffic- Logs and monitors the browser activity in Google Chrome during the exam.
- Student Photo - Requires the exam taker to take a still picture prior to taking their assessment.
- Student ID - Requires the exam taker to take a picture with their webcam of their government-issued photo ID, or their student photo ID. Honorlock will ensure the name on the ID matches with the name within the LMS.
- Room scan- Requires that the exam taker show a 360-degree view of their testing environment and there will be onscreen messaging informing them of this. If you are requesting your exam takers show certain items - blank scratch paper, their cell phone being placed out of reach, etc. use the Additional Instructions section below to detail out what you’d like your exam takers to do for the Room scan.
- Calculators - Allows basic or scientific calculator during the assessment.
- Disable copy paste - Prevents exam takers from copying exam content and pasting it outside of the assessment.
- Disable printing - Prevents access to the browser print function to print or export exam content.
- Browser Guard - Honorlock's secure browser solution that prevents exam takers from accessing additional applications outside of Google Chrome. Any attempt to access external applications will generate an automated flag to be reviewed when reviewing exam taker results. Please note that due to some device limitations, Browser Guard will work to varying degrees. For additional details, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Allowed Site URLs - Grants access via another Chrome tab to any sites that you add in below. That could be a link to the e-textbook, DESMOS for an online graphing calculator, or a link to any other web page your exam takers will need to complete the assessment. When adding your URLs in the box below, please make sure you click “Add Site” for each page you’re granting access to. Please include the link to that site or resources within the question stem itself, or the exam instructions so students can click on it.
- Simulated exam option - This should only be used for low-stakes assessments, as it will simulate the proctoring experience, but there will be no recording or flagging to review after the session is complete.
- Open Book Allowed - Allows exam takers to utilize a physical book or e-book during their assessment. If allowing exam takers to use an e-book, you’ll need to include a link to that book in the Allowed Site URLs section.
- Notes Allowed - Permits exam takers to reference any physical or digital notes.
- Scratch Paper Allowed - Exam takers can utilize multiple sheets of blank paper and a writing utensil during the assessment.
Students will not be flagged or have their exam paused for being partially out of view if Scratch Paper Allowed, Notes Allowed, or Open Book Allowed is toggled on. Students that are completely out of view will be flagged. For customers that utilize our Live Proctoring level of service, proctors will not perform Live Pop-Ins on students that are partially out of view if the Scratch Paper Allowed, Notes Allowed, or Open Book Allowed toggles are on.
- Restroom Breaks Allowed - Permits exam takers to leave the webcam view for a short period of time. We encourage you to add additional instructions around the duration or frequency exam takers can use the restroom so that our proctors can provide specific instructions to exam takers if you’d like to limit those breaks. When Restroom Breaks Allowed is active, students can leave the testing area for up to five minutes without their exam being paused or flagged.
- Handheld Calculator - Indicates students can use a handheld calculator but not the calculator on their cell phone.
- Hats Allowed - Permits exam takers to wear a baseball hat or hoodie on their head during the assessment. Honorlock will always allow exam takers to wear religious head coverings during assessments.
- Headphones Allowed - Students can wear any headphones during their assessment when this is toggled on. When this is toggled off - exam administrators can expect to see a high flag in the session results if an exam taker wears headphones during an exam. A Live Pop-In will also occur for LPI customers when students are wearing headphones (if headphones are not allowed).
- Background Noise Allowed - Permits exam takers to be in an environment where other people are talking, there’s excessive background noise, etc.
- Take Exam in a Public Area - Indicates that exam takers can complete their assessment in a coffee shop, library, etc. where other people are around them and noise is present. Exam takers cannot interact with other people in the testing environment. When Take Exam in Public Area is active, Honorlock will not flag exams with multiple faces visible in the webcam.