Through Honorlock in your primary Learning Management System, you have the option to offer proctored exams given in numerous third-party platforms such as Pearson MyMathLab, McGraw-Hill Connect, and WebAssign.
How to Create a Third-Party Exam
1) Navigate to Honorlock in your Learning Management System.
2) Locate and click the three white vertical dots in the top right of the LTI.
3) Click Register Third Party Exam.
4) Name the Exam to match the name of the exam being administered within the third party platform.
5) Next, set the Exam Start and Exam End times to match the start and end times of the exam being administered within the third party platform.
6) On the Exam Platform drop down, select your Third Party Platform that applies to how your testers will ultimately access the exam from our list of options:
Access Through the LMS
Select this option if your testers can only access the exam through the LMS. When your testers complete Honorlock authentication, they will be prompted to continue using the LMS in another tab where they will need to locate their exam. If you include a Direct Exam URL, they will be directed there instead.
Use Another Platform
If your exam platform does not match an option shown above, select this option. You will be required to provide the name of the Exam Platform so your testers will know what site or platform to navigate to. If you include a Direct Exam URL, they will also be prompted to navigate to that URL.
If you select one of the commonly used platform names, the Platform Name will be automatically populated for you.
7) Next, we highly recommend inserting the Exam URL/Link to prevent any confusion for your exam takers.
Note: Be sure to include the http or https in the link, otherwise the link will not work.
8) For all third party exams, Honorlock requires a password to be set to prevent testers from bypassing the Honorlock authentication. This password must not be shared with any students. To register a third party exam with Honorlock, set a password in your third party platform for the exam. This password should be unique to the exam, meaning you should not use the same password for all exams in your third party platform. After setting the password, copy and paste it under the "Exam Password" field in Honorlock.
Note: If you do not set a password on the exam, students will be able to start the exam un-proctored.
9) Select your preferred proctoring settings for the exam. For an in-depth explanation of each of these options, please scroll down to the Proctoring Settings section of this guide.
10) Enable the Student Guidelines and clarifying info in the Additional Instructions section. Add in any Accommodation info as well. For more information, please visit Accomodation with Honorlock .
For an in-depth explanation of each of these options, please scroll down to the Student Guidelines section of this guide.
11) Make sure to click the blue Create button to save your settings. Your third party exam is now created and enabled with Honorlock! Third-party exams will be identified with a third party exam icon.
- Record Webcam - Records HD video of the student’s face and testing environment using the webcam built into their device or external webcam.
- Record Screen - Records HD video of the exam taker’s laptop or desktop screen.
- Record Web Traffic- Logs and monitors the browser activity in Google Chrome during the exam.
- Student Photo - Requires the exam taker to take a still picture prior to taking their assessment.
- Student ID - Requires the exam taker to take a picture with their webcam of their government-issued photo ID, or their student photo ID. Honorlock will ensure the name on the ID matches the name within the LMS.
- Room Scan -Requires that the exam taker show a 360degree view of their testing environment and there will be onscreen messaging informing them of this. If you are requesting your exam takers show certain items - blank scratch paper, their cell phone being placed out of reach, etc. Use the Additional Instructions Section below to detail out what you’d like your exam takers to do for the Room scan.
- Calculators - Allows basic or scientific calculator during the assessment. Turning one calculator on will turn off the other.
- Disable Copy/Paste - Prevents exam takers from copying exam content and pasting it outside of the assessment.
- Disable Printing - Prevents access to the browser print function to print or export exam content.
- Browser Guard - Honorlock's secure browser solution that prevents exam takers from accessing additional applications outside of Google Chrome. Any attempt to access external applications will generate an automated flag to be reviewed when reviewing exam taker results. For more information on Browser Guard, please see BrowserGuard and Allowed Site URLs FAQ
- Allowed Site URLs - Grants access via another Chrome tab to any sites that you add in below. That could be a link to the e-textbook, DESMOS for an online graphing calculator, or a link to any other web page your exam takers will need to complete the assessment. When adding your URLs in the box below, please make sure you click “Add Site” for each page you’re granting access to. Please include the link to that site or resources within the question stem itself, or the exam instructions so students can click on it. These will be available before the exam before they launch proctoring and during the exam in the student toolbar.
- Simulated - Not Proctored This should only be used for low-stakes assessments, as it will simulate the proctoring experience, but there will be no recording or flagging to review after the session is complete.
These nine preset instructions will let your students and Honorlock's Proctors and Support staff know, what is and what is not, allowed on the assessment.
- Open Book Allowed - Allows exam takers to utilize a physical book or e-book during their assessment. If allowing exam takers to use an e-book, you’ll need to include a link to that book in the Allowed Site URLs section.
- Notes Allowed - Permits exam takers to reference any physical or digital notes.
- Scratch Paper Allowed - Exam takers can utilize multiple sheets of blank paper and a writing utensil during the assessment.
Students will not be flagged or have their exam paused for being partially out of view if Scratch Paper Allowed, Notes Allowed, or Open Book Allowed is toggled on. Students that are completely out of view will be flagged. For customers that utilize our Live Proctoring level of service, proctors will not perform Live Pop-Ins on students that are partially out of view if the Scratch Paper Allowed, Notes Allowed, or Open Book Allowed toggles are on.
- Restroom Breaks Allowed - Permits exam takers to leave the webcam view for a short period of time. We encourage you to add additional instructions around the duration or frequency exam takers can use the restroom so that our proctors can provide specific instructions to exam takers if you’d like to limit those breaks. When Restroom Breaks Allowed is active, students can leave the testing area for up to five minutes without their exam being paused or flagged.
- Handheld Calculator - Indicates students can use a handheld calculator but not the calculator on their cell phone.
- Hats Allowed - Permits exam takers to wear a baseball hat or hoodie on their head during the assessment. Honorlock will always allow exam takers to wear religious head coverings during assessments.
- Headphones Allowed - Students can wear any headphones during their assessment.
- Take Exam in a Public Area - Indicates that exam takers can complete their assessment in a coffee shop, library, etc. where other people are around them and noise is present. Exam takers cannot interact with other people in the testing environment. When Take Exam in Public Area is active, Honorlock will not flag exams with multiple faces visible in the webcam.
- Background Noise Allowed - Permits exam takers to be in an environment where other people are talking, there’s excessive background noise, etc.
*Notice of Non-Affiliation and Disclaimer: Honorlock is an independent third-party tool that is not associated, authorized, endorsed or sponsored by McGraw Hill Education.