Pre-existing issues within Chrome may present problems when attempting to install the Honorlock extension or launching proctoring.This may look like being prompted to install the extension multiple times (meaning it may be disabled), or even after previously being able to take an exam, now receiving a “Waiting for Authentication” which may mean you need to clear your cache or reinstall the extension (or both in some instances).
These troubleshooting steps can be used when Chrome is not allowing Honorlock's extension to function properly when using a Windows or Mac device. After each section, you can attempt to restart your exam to see if the issue is resolved before completing the full set of instructions.
Uninstalling And Reinstalling The Extension
This will ensure that the extension is properly installed and that you have the newest version of the extension installed.
1) Look to the top right of your chrome browser and look for a white shield with a check mark in the center. Right click on it, and then click "remove from chrome." If you do not see that option, then please open the following link in a new tab and click "Remove" under the Honorlock extension: chrome://extensions/
3) Now, relaunch proctoring and attempt to begin your assessment. If the issue persists, please move to the next troubleshooting step.
Removing Conflicts with the Honorlock Extension
Other extensions may interfere with your ability to successfully install the Honorlock extension or begin your exam successfully. Other proctoring extensions and antivirus are the most common causes; however, there may be other extensions that conflict with Honorlock and would need to be disabled as well.
1) Navigate to chrome://extensions/ by copying this url and pasting it into the address bar.
2) From here, locate any antivirus extensions or other proctoring extensions and disable them. Once disabled, attempt to enable the Honorlock extension. If that does not work, proceed with disabling the remaining extensions on this page.
3) With Honorlock enabled,relaunch proctoring, and attempt to begin your assessment. If the issue persists, please move to the next troubleshooting step.
These steps will remove any saved data in the extension or states that may be interfering with your ability to begin a new assessment with Honorlock. 1) Log out of your LMS (Canvas, Blackboard, D2L).
2) Navigate to chrome://settings/clearBrowserData by copying this url and pasting it into the address bar. “Cached Images and Files” is the only option that should be selected before selecting “Clear Data”. The time frame should be set to “All Time.”
3) Now log back into your LMS and relaunch proctoring to begin your assessment. If the issue persists, please move to the next troubleshooting step.
Creating a New Chrome Profile
If you have tried the steps above and are still experiencing difficulties, you may create a new profile as a final option which will create a new instance of Chrome. Follow the steps below to do so.
1) Look to the top right of your chrome browser and locate your Google Chrome Profile icon. This icon is a circular image often showing a letter or a profile image you set. Click the circular icon and then click + Add (for older versions of Chrome, you may see the "Manage People" option instead).
2) Next you will be prompted to enter a name for the new profile. Enter "Honorlock" as the name, as this should be the profile you use to test with moving forward. A desktop shortcut should be created to allow you to access the new profile easily for your next exam. You can also bookmark your school's website on the new profile.
3) Once you have created the new Chrome person, a new window will open. Do not log in to your google account in this new window. Instead, please go immediately to honorlock.com/install to re-install the Honorlock extension.
4) Close all of the "old" chrome window(s) you have open. Only the new chrome window you just created should be open.
5) Finally, please go to your test page and attempt to re-enter your exam in the new Chrome window.
Note: Do not sync the new chrome profile with your main chrome profile, as the issue you are experiencing may resurface.