If you wish to use the Canvas New Quizzes feature with Honorlock Proctoring, you will need to register the assessment as a Third-Party exam. This guide will demonstrate how to do so.
Creating an Assessment with New Quizzes
1) In the Quizzes tab of Canvas, select + Quiz, then select New Quizzes and submit.
2) In the Assignment Name field , enter the name of your assessment. To enter assessment details, enter the total points possible , select the assignment group , and choose how the grade is displayed to students .
To remove this assessment from final grade calculations, click the Do not count this assignment towards the final grade checkbox .
3) In the Assign To field , select who will be required to take the assessment. You can assign the assessment to individual students or sections.
In the Due field , select the assessment due date.
In the Available from and Until fields , select the availability dates for the assessment. In-progress quizzes will automatically submit when the Until date and time passes.
4) Select the Build button to add questions and content to your assessment.
5) In the Build Settings section, select Require a student access code. Create an access code for the assessment.
IMPORTANT: For the Honorlock third-party feature to work, the assessment must be password-protected. Please do not share the access code with students.
6) You’ll need to copy the unique URL for the New Quiz from the student view for the next few steps. To locate and copy the unique URL, go into the Student View.
7) Once in Student View, locate and click on the quiz to open it up. You will know you are in Student View by a pink border around the screen, and the option to Reset Student or Leave Student View, showing at the bottom right corner of the browser.
8) Once it’s opened, copy the link that’s in the browser and save it somewhere because you will need this for the next section. Remember you must be in Student View, because this is the link accessible to students
How to Create a Third-Party Exam
1) Navigate to Honorlock in your Learning Management System.
2) Locate and click the three white vertical dots in the top right of the LTI.
3) Click Register Third Party Exam.
4) Name the Exam to match the name of the New Quizzes assessment.
5) Next, set the Exam Start and Exam End times to match the start and end times of the New Quizzes assessment.
6) Enter the same password you created for the New Quizzes assessment in the Exam Password field. Please ensure that each exam has a different password. If the password does not match, students will not be able to start the exam. If you do not set a password on the exam, students will be able to start the exam un-proctored.
7) Type Canvas New Quizzes under Exam Platform.
8) Add the URL/Link to the assessment.
NOTE: For the Exam URL/Link that is being registered, please ensure the proper permissions are set as exam takers may encounter an “Access Denied” notification. Typically, if the word “edit” is contained within the link, it may be instructor facing only, and will not work.
9) Select your preferred proctoring settings for the assessment. For an in-depth explanation of each of these options, please scroll down to the Proctoring Settings section of this guide.
10) Enable the Student Guidelines and clarifying info in the Additional Instructions section. Add in any Accommodation info as well. For an in-depth explanation of each of these options, please scroll down to the Student Guidelines section of this guide.
11) Select the blue Create button to save your settings. Your third-party exam is now created and enabled with Honorlock. Third-party exams will be identified with a third-party exam icon.
- Record Webcam - records HD video of the student’s face and testing environment using the webcam built into their device or external webcam.
- Record Screen - records HD video of the exam taker’s laptop or desktop screen.
- Record web traffic logs and monitors the browser activity in Google Chrome during the exam.
- Student Photo - requires the exam taker to take a still picture prior to taking their assessment.
- Student ID - requires the exam taker to take a picture with their webcam of their government-issued photo ID, or their student photo ID. Honorlock will ensure the name on the ID matches with the name within the LMS.
- Room scan requires that the exam taker show a 360degree view of their testing environment and there will be onscreen messaging informing them of this. If you are requesting your exam takers show certain items - blank scratch paper, their cell phone being placed out of reach, etc. use the Additional Instructions section below to detail out what you’d like your exam takers to do for the Room scan.
- Calculators - Allows basic or scientific calculator during the assessment.
- Disable copy paste - prevents exam takers from copying exam content and pasting it outside of the assessment.
- Disable printing - prevents access to the browser print function to print or export exam content.
- Browser Guard - Honorlock's secure browser solution that prevents exam takers from accessing additional applications outside of Google Chrome. Any attempt to access external applications will generate an automated flag to be reviewed when reviewing exam taker results.
- Allowed Site URLs - Grants access via another Chrome tab to any sites that you add in below. That could be a link to the e-textbook, DESMOS for an online graphing calculator, or a link to any other web page your exam takers will need to complete the assessment. When adding your URLs in the box below, please make sure you click “Add Site” for each page you’re granting access to. Please include the link to that site or resources within the question stem itself, or the exam instructions so students can click on it.
- Simulated exam option - This should only be used for low stakes or no stakes assessments, as it will simulate the proctoring experience, but there will be no recording or flagging to review after the session is complete.
- Open Book Allowed - Allows exam takers to utilize a physical book or e-book during their assessment. If allowing exam takers to use an e-book, you’ll need to include a link to that book in the Allowed Site URLs section.
- Notes Allowed - Permits exam takers to reference any physical notes they have in a notebook, binder, etc.
- Scratch Paper Allowed - Exam takers can utilize multiple sheets of blank paper and a writing utensil during the assessment.
Students will not be flagged or have their exam paused for being partially out of view if Scratch Paper Allowed, Notes Allowed, or Open Book Allowed is toggled on. Students that are completely out of view will be flagged. For customers that utilize our Live Proctoring level of service, proctors will not perform Live Pop-Ins on students that are partially out of view if the Scratch Paper Allowed, Notes Allowed, or Open Book Allowed toggles are on.
- Restroom Breaks Allowed - Permits exam takers to leave the webcam view for a short period of time. We encourage you to add additional instructions around the duration or frequency exam takers can use the restroom so that our proctors can provide specific instructions to exam takers if you’d like to limit those breaks. When Restroom Breaks Allowed is active, students can leave the testing area for up to five minutes without their exam being paused or flagged.
- Handheld Calculator - Indicates students can use a handheld calculator but not the calculator on their cell phone.
- Hats Allowed - Permits exam takers to wear a baseball hat or hoodie on their head during the assessment. Honorlock will always allow exam takers to wear religious head coverings during assessments.
- Headphones Allowed - Students can wear any headphones during their assessment.
- Background Noise Allowed - Permits exam takers to be in an environment where other people are talking, there’s excessive background noise, etc.
- Take Exam in a Public Area - Indicates that exam takers can complete their assessment in a coffee shop, library, etc. where other people are around them and noise is present. Exam takers cannot interact with other people in the testing environment. When Take Exam in Public Area is active, Honorlock will not flag exams with multiple faces visible in the webcam.