Create a Third Party Exam
Through Honorlock in your primary Learning Management System, you have the option to offer proctored exams given in ANY third party platform such as Pearson MyMathLab, McGraw-Hill Connect, and WebAssign.
How to Create a Third-Party Exam
1) Navigate to Honorlock in your Learning Management System.
2) Locate and click the three white vertical dots in the top right of the LTI.
3) Click Register Third Party Exam.
4) Name the Exam to match the name of the exam being administered within the third party platform.
5) Next, set the Exam Start and Exam End times to match the start and end times of the exam being administered within the third party platform.
6) In your third party platform, it is important to make sure that the exam is password-protected. Set a password in your third party platform for the exam and copy and paste it under Exam Password. If the password does not match, students will not be able to start the exam. If you do not set a password on the exam, students will be able to start the exam un-proctored.
7) Lastly, type in your third party exam platform name under Exam Platform.
8) Select your preferred proctoring settings for the exam. For an in depth explanation of each of these options, please scroll down to the Proctoring Settings section of this guide.
9) Enable the Student Guidelines and clarifying info in the Additional Instructions section. Add in any Accommodation info as well. For an in depth explanation of each of these options, please scroll down to the Student Guidelines section of this guide.
10) Make sure to click the blue Create button to save your settings. Your third party exam is now created and enabled with Honorlock! Third party exams will be identified with a third party exam icon.
- Record Webcam - records HD video of the student’s face and testing environment using the webcam built into their device or external webcam.
- Record Screen - records HD video of the exam taker’s laptop or desktop screen.
- Record web traffic logs and monitors the browser activity in Google Chrome during the exam.
- Student Photo - requires the exam taker to take a still picture prior to taking their assessment.
- Student ID - requires the exam taker to take a picture with their webcam of their government issued photo ID, or their student photo ID. Honorlock will ensure the name on the ID matches with the name within the LMS.
- Room scan requires that the exam taker show a 360degree view of their testing environment and there will be onscreen messaging informing them of this. If you are requesting your exam takers show certain items - blank scratch paper, their cell phone being placed out of reach, etc. use the Additional Instructions section below to detail out what you’d like your exam takers to do for the Room scan.
- Calculators - Allows basic or scientific calculator during the assessment.
- Disable copy paste - prevents exam takers from copying exam content and pasting it outside of the assessment.
- Disable printing - prevents access to the browser print function to print or export exam content.
- Browser Guard - Honorlock's secure browser solution that prevents exam takers from accessing additional applications outside of Google Chrome. Any attempt to access external applications will generate an automated flag to be reviewed when reviewing exam taker results.
- Whitelist URLs - Grants access via another Chrome tab to any sites that you add in below. That could be a link to the e-textbook, DESMOS for an online graphing calculator, or a link to any other web page your exam takers will need to complete the assessment. When adding your URLs in the box below, please make sure you click “Add Site” for each page you’re granting access to. Please include the link to that site or resources within the question stem itself, or the exam instructions so students can click on it.
- Simulated exam option - This should only be used for low stakes or no stakes assessments, as it will simulate the proctoring experience, but there will be no recording or flagging to review after the session is complete.
- Open Book Allowed - Allows exam takers to utilize a physical book or e-book during their assessment. If allowing exam takers to use an e-book, you’ll need to include a link to that book in the Whitelist URLs section.
- Notes Allowed - Permits exam takers to reference any physical notes they have in a notebook, binder, etc.
- Scratch Paper Allowed - Exam takers can utilize multiple sheets of blank paper and a writing utensil during the assessment.
- Restroom Breaks Allowed - Permits exam takers to leave the webcam view for a short period of time. The exam taker’s session will be flagged if they choose to utilize this. We encourage you to add additional instructions around the duration or frequency exam takers can use the restroom so that our proctors can provide specific instructions to exam takers if you’d like to limit those breaks.
- Handheld Calculator - Indicates students can use a handheld calculator but not the calculator on their cell phone.
- Hats Allowed - Permits exam takers to wear a baseball hat or hoodie on their head during the assessment. Honorlock will always allow exam takers to wear religious head coverings during assessments.
- Headphones Allowed - Students can wear any headphones during their assessment.
- Background Noise Allowed - Permits exam takers to be in an environment where other people are talking, there’s excessive background noise, etc.
- Take Exam in a Public Area - Indicates that exam takers can complete their assessment in a coffee shop, library, etc. where other people are around them and noise is present. Exam takers cannot interact with the other people in the testing environment.